Past outreach events have included: a free breakfast to honor all our veterans , we worked with Greater Hope Restoration to collect backpacks and other school supplies, blessing of the animals this October, blessing of the Easter food on Holy Saturday, making and delivering Thanksgiving meals with Bethany Lutheran, Adopt a Grandparent, Pajamas for foster children, Christmas cards for soldiers made by our Sunday School children, prayer stones made by our Sunday School children and given to our congregation as reminder to pray, Salvation Army Toys for Tots, participation in God’s Global Barnyard where we collected enough money for farmers to purchase farm animals, working with the Bower Hill Presbyterian church with their Vacation Bible School.
Ongoing events include:
- Family Promise: We preparing meals and sharing fellowship every six weeks for families in need in conjunction with the Bower Hill Presbyterian Church.
- Hug Project: This is an ongoing ministry to collect : body lotion/hand cream, toothpaste/toothbrush, nail clippers/emery boards, deodorant, bath and shower products, Kleenex packs, combs,/brushes, mouthwash and clothes. All items need to be unused. We have donated many hug baskets to a women s’ drug and alcohol inpatient facility in Pittsburgh and to the men and women at the Washington City Mission in Washington, Pa. New clothes are also needed. We at Good Shepherd are blessed with so much. Let’s continue to reach out to others who are not as fortunate. We can make this meaningful ministry to those who need a HUG.
- Box Tops for Education: The box tops provide Bethesda Children Home in Erie, Pennsylvania with extra school supplies.
- SHIM: We participate in religious observation with the South Hills Interfaith Ministry and we collect much needed food items and/or clothes year round.. This ministry serves people in the South Hills in need.
- Prayer Chain: Members submit names of people and families in need of prayers and we each pray for that person or family.
- Memorial Garden This is seasonal ministry to beautify the church grounds. Many plants have been donated in memory of loved ones.
- Health Ministry- We offer blood pressure readings and wellness tips.
- Prayer service at Emmanuel Lutheran in Castle Shannon.
- Providing Thanksgiving dinners and delivery service with Bethany Lutheran in Dormont.
We are receptive to sharing our time and talent to help others. If anyone has any suggestions please post on the church website. Thank you
Adopt A Grandparent
Four years ago, our church secretary, Debbie Montgomery decided to share the success of Mary Kay business by giving back. She started “Adopt a grandparent” . A $15 donation purchased two of Mary Kay’s Satin Hands lotion. Debbie got 51 donations and went to John Kane nursing home in Scott Township to sing Christmas carols with her beautiful voice and hand out her Satin Hands lotion. She was touched by the reception and saddened because there were more than 51 residents who needed to know that someone cared about them. Since then, the program has grown. Debbie has enlisted the help of other Mary Kay consultants and they have set the goal of 1000 donations. The gifts will be hand delivered by the consultants and their children to several local nursing homes in December. Debbie says, “Please consider what a blessing this is for the men and women in these facilities who once lived and worked in our local communities. Let them know they are remembered! Thank you.” For more information please contact the church and ask for Debbie.